Sunday, May 31, 2009

River dance

I'm in the process of moving all of my crap across town, literally, and I've walked back and forth between my two apartments more times than I would have liked.

Since it's the weekend and the weather has been quite nice, there are lots of familiar faces out and about for me to run into. Today put a big smile on my face and even made me laugh out loud.

On my first trip to the other side of Canet, I ran into a few of my 6th grade boys on their way to play some soccer in the plaza near my house. It was sunny, but the wind was picking up and the weather report today said "chance of rain". I could feel the eminent rain drops in the air.

I kept trekking, ran into the P.E. teacher and his new wife (whose wedding I actually went to), then finally made it to my new abode. After being inside the house for about 10 minutes, I heard a little thunder which was quickly followed by buckets of summer rain. Luckily, I was smart enough to bring along an umbrella. I just wasn't smart enough to wear shoes today. My new street, by the way, is called Torrent dels Lledoners-- yes, as in a torrent of water rushing down my street (dels Lledoners is not important for the purpose of this story).

I waited for the rain to dissipate for a while until I decided it was time to head back. As soon as I walked out the front door, I knew I would end up wet. I walked along the river on the narrow, high sidewalk, until it ended. I had to cross the river. There was no way around it. I just rolled up my jeans and walked through the calf-deep rushing water. Upside, its not cold today, and the water was tepid. Downside , I had to sqwish and sqwash in my wet flip-flops the whole way home.

Not many people were out at this point. Lazy sunday afternoon+rain= people stay inside. I came upon a family walking to their car. Two young boys, about 6 and 8 years old, trailed behind their parents in summer clothing and leather spanish sandals. The street we were walking on was at a slope, and water rushed towards all of our feet. Ignoring their mothers' wishes, the boys walked through the deepest part of the street and got as wet as they could. When they came to the stairs they had to go up, the boys screamed " Una cascada a l'escalas!!" (a waterfall on the stairs). They were right. As the parents got more angry, the kids had more fun. "Es com una dutxa per als peus!" (it's like a shower for your feet) They were sooo happy and so goddamn cute that I just started laughing out loud.

Then when I got back around the plaza, I saw the same few boys I had seen earlier...still playing soccer. Only difference-- they were completely drenched. It looked like they had just gotten out of the shower, but the smiles on their faces said it all. I stopped and talked to them for a while, but not wanting to distract them from their important match, I was soon on my way.

These afternoon hours are the best, and they're usually what I missed during the week when I was either at work or at home giving lessons. Now I will dedicate this time to strolling around and people watching.

Happiness.

No comments: